WHO is the guy who
pioneers multimedia and photo story books on European topics in the Chinese
At the age of
he knew he wanted to be a writer
at 16 he published
the first article
in a big Shanghai daily,
10 years later he learned
to write in German for a while
another 10 years later his first
book took Taiwan in a storm.
ODD SIZES odd visuals GREAT DESIGN unusual ideas COMPLETELY CROSS CATEGORY modern
PHOTO STORY BOOKS
Photo Book Publications to date:
- "Toscana in Blue." (2001) Published with "The Earth"
- "Tokyo.Rain. 13° / Shanghai 77 th floor" (2001) Marco Polo Publishing.
- "800 years on the road." Time travel across Andalucia. (2000)("infinite prejudices"
- "Madrid to Lisbon" (2000)
Multimedia booklet with music CD: Theme music for cafes in Spain woven together
with local sounds. Published with SONY Music, Taiwan.
- "7 odd CITIES" (2000)
Digital publication project with Epson, Taiwan.
Computer output of ten individual editions (one copy each!) of one main idea,
wildly varying the design and photos of 7 cities around the world.
- "Go, go Venice." (1999)
("infinite prejudices" series)
- Paris! Paris! (1999) Multimedia
design booklet with music CD: Associative music of the cafes in Paris.
published with SONY Music, Taiwan.
- "Roma Colorata." (1998)
Breathtaking, cinematic city portrait. ("infinite prejudices" series)
- "10 Legendary
Grand Hotels in Europe." ( 1998, Meta Media of Yuan Liou Publishing Group)
- "Coffee House Dreaming." (1997) A witty, personal armchair guide to 60 charismatic Cafes
- "Black & White Paris." (1996, "infinite prejudices" series) Personal photo storybook.
- "Opening the door to cafes." 350 years of European coffee culture.(1995 )
These publications are in Chinese language (both hard- and softcover).
Publisher: China Times Publishing
if not noted otherwise
Mainland China editions 1999 (cafes) and 2000 (Paris & Rome)
* Personal Data
Yao Zhang, born in Shanghai
some while ago grew up to become a
globetrotter and nomad
of the 21st century.
A blind old fortune teller
once told him
long time ago he would travel to faraway places
carrying some metal on him...
That time, no one could
in his wildest dreams, that it was to be
neither knive nor money,
but a camera accompagnying him everywhere.
* Personal Photo Exhibitions
Epson head office Taipei- digital exhibition photos from 7 cities around the
1998 Taipei: European Grand Hotels (May) ; Roma Colorata (November)
1997 Taichung & Tainan : Coffee Map (over 200 photos exhibited)
1996 Taipei Eslite Center : Black & White Paris
1995 Taipei: Open doors to Cafes
1993 Amsterdam: From Shanghai Teahouses to Viennese Melange
1993 Vienna, Salzburg, & Graz: Shanghai Solo
1992 Hong Kong Minolta Gallery & Holiday Inn: Vienna on the coffee table